Bali Scooter Rental Guide: Things to Know Before Renting a Scooter in Bali
Are you the kind of person who loves to travel freely without any set of schedules you that must follow? Are you the kind of person who likes to discover hidden gems and stop anywhere or anytime you find something beautiful on the journey? If you do, then traveling with a scooter in Bali is the best thing for you. Here we will give you the best tips about Bali scooter rental!
Why travel in Bali with a scooter?
Renting a scooter allows you to discover the true color of Bali from its beautiful stretches of white sand beaches, tropical forest, mountainous scenery, mighty temples until the hidden waterfalls. In fact, many of these destinations are almost impossible to explore without renting transportation or at least hire a tour in Bali. You can visit them by taxi, but it costs you so much more than just renting scooter in Bali.
When riding a scooter, you’ll see so many more things you won’t if you go with public transportation. You will see more local life. You can go find some quiet roads and see breathtaking scenery. And you can stop anywhere and anytime.
Exploring Bali with a scooter brings you to places like this:
Can I explore Bali with public transportation?
Yes, there are some public transportation options in Bali. But it’s mostly for traveling to far places or from a region to another.
For example, you can use a bus or minibus to go from Denpasar to Ubud. But it’s not easy to find a bus stop and require you another ride to reach a terminal. As a matter of fact, almost no public transport offers routes to famous tourist destinations in Bali.
What about online taxies such as Uber, Go-jek or Grab?
If you come to Bali several years ago, you still can easily explore Bali with these apps. But unfortunately, online transportation apps are already illegal in Bali.
Yes, there are still many who use them and you can too. But you will need to find a quiet or hidden place for the driver to pick you up and drop you off. They will not be able to drop you in places such as the airport, train stations, and many other crowded places. Even most hotels don’t allow online-driver to pick up a passenger in their place.
This happened as a result of many local taxi drivers rejected the existence of such apps.
What to prepare before renting a scooter in Bali?
- First, you have to prepare yourself to be able to ride a scooter. If you are still in your country, rent one and practice a little before your trip start. Trust us, it helps you. If you are already here in Bali and you haven’t ride a scooter for a long time, spend some hours on a quiet road to get yourself get used to driving a scooter. Remember, you have to ride on the left side of the road. So, make sure you always remember that and not suddenly realizing that you are on the wrong side.
- You will need to prepare a photocopy of your passport or ID card.
- Prepare an international driving license. Spend some time to get one in your country before traveling. You’ll get a problem if the police pull you over and find out that you don’t have a driving license.
- But, what if I don’t bring a driving license? Luckily, you can make a driving license in Bali. Yes, the creation of a tourist driving license is no longer available. However, you can still request an Indonesian driving license. For details of obtaining the Indonesian driving license, you can check on this How to get a driving license in Bali page.
Tips before agreeing to rent scooter in Bali
- Before you bring the scooter you’re going to rent, check the scooter condition carefully. You can start by checking the lights, the brakes, the horns, and the body conditions. If you feel necessary, you can take pictures or videos when you check the scooter.
- For peace of mind when traveling with the scooter, getting the scooter insurance for the scooter is the best option. If you rent the bike here with us, you only need to pay Rp. 20,000 for the scooter insurance. It covers damages if something happens to the scooter during your trip.
- Saving the assistance phone number is very important. And if you need an emergency during your journey in Bali, you can dial this number: 112. You can dial it to call for police or medical emergency service.
- If you’re going to leave to a far destination, make sure you fill the fuel before departing. There are three types of gasoline that you can buy for the scooter: premium, pertalite, and pertamax. Premium is the cheapest one and it costs only around 6k IDR. But most gas station doesn’t have them. Pertalite price is around 7k IDR and pertamax costs around 9k IDR. Most scooters have a capacity of 4-5 liters of fuel to be full.
Make sure you follow these safety tips when riding scooter in Bali
- Wear your helmet all the time. Even if you only go to a place nearby, always wear a helmet. Whether it’s a far or near destination, the road is always hard for your head. Safety is number one. Trust us, you don’t want an accident to ruin your holiday in Bali. Moreover, don’t let yourself being pulled over by the police just because you don’t wear a helmet.
- Wear comfortable clothes for driving and make sure it covers your skin. Yes, you should cover your skin for safety reasons if in any case, an accident happens.
- Having a phone holder on the scooter allows you to navigate easier when driving. If you rent a scooter in Bali with us, you don’t need to buy one. You only need to add Rp. 5000 to rent one. It’s less than half US dollar.
- Don’t drive a scooter in Bali if you drink alcohol. Be safe.
- You will see locals driving a scooter with 3 persons on the seat. But don’t do that. It’s not safe and illegal to do so.
- When you arrive somewhere, don’t forget to bring the key.
- Always bring your phone anywhere you go. And it’s so much better to buy internet data for your trip in Bali. Some remote areas in Bali have slower internet, so it’s a good idea to download offline maps of Bali before traveling. You can download it on Maps.me
- On some crowded roads, there will be a lot of pollution. That’s why many locals use a face mask when driving. Buy yourself some to wear. You can buy a face mask whether in a minimarket or in a drugstore. However, buying in the drugstore will be much cheaper.
- Always bring these things wherever you go: money, driving license, and the scooter registration document (STNK).
Flat tires can happen unexpectedly, keep calm and find nearby “Bengkel” to help you out
If your scooter has flat tires during a trip, you just need to find the nearby roadside workshop to repair it. In Indonesia, the roadside workshop is called “Bengkel Motor”. In fact, there are already many bengkels that you can in Google Maps. For a flat tire repairement, it only costs around 15k to 20k IDR.
Where can I find Bali scooter rental?
Actually, there are already many scooter rental in Bali. As of 2020, most scooter rental in Bali will cost around 70k IDR – 100k IDR a day depends on the type of scooter. However, random scooter rental can be tricky for you.
You can rent a scooter from us and surely you will get a fair price and a good quality of the scooter. You don’t need to come to our place to get the scooter. We will be the one who delivers it to your hotel. Further, our price is fixed so you don’t need to worry about any extra fees. Click this link renting a scooter in Bali if you are interested.
Indeed, it’s very interesting to travel around Bali with a scooter. It allows you more freedom to travel and surely an interesting adventure awaits. But don’t forget, whatever excited you are, always drive safely.
If you have any questions regarding Bali scooter rental, feel free to write in the comment part below and we will happily answer your question!