Updated on AUGUST 2017

The Indonesian Police DO NOT issue 30 days driving license anymore. The Police only issue a 1-year driving license that cost up to 1,000,000 IDR.

Steps to obtain tourist driving license in Bali for 1-year validity for scooter or car:

  1. Go to the Police Station in this address: Jalan Gunung Sanghyang No.110 (Kerobokan) Denpasar, Bali 80225.
  2. The police station will be open on Monday – Friday at 8AM – 2PM. (Friday will be closed at 12PM).
  3. Fee to obtain driving license is up to IDR 1,000.000
  4. Documents required are:
    • Passport with your valid visa to stay in Indonesia.
    • Photocopy of passport.
    • Valid driving license (if you have one from any country). If you do not have one, the process slightly longer but you still can obtain without your own driving license.
  5. Once you in Police station go to the ‘Foreign Office Applicant’.
  6. Bring nice attitude and friendly with the Police. In 1 hour you will get your local driving license and do not need to worry to get fine during your stay in Bali.

If you need Bali4ride’s assistance, here is the additional steps:

  1. Contact us at least 2 days before.
  2. The cost of this assistance is 500,000 IDR including
    • Pick up with a car from Airport or Hotel in Kuta area. If the hotel is not in Kuta area then the additional charge is applied.
    • Bring you to the Police station and assist you through the process.
    • Drop back to your hotel.


Bali4ride IS NOT Driving License agency, what we do is to help our customer to go to police station and help them to communicate with the Police officer.

By | 2017-08-20T07:19:11+00:00 June 7th, 2015|47 Comments

About the Author:


  1. Zee February 6, 2017 at 2:22 pm - Reply

    I hear rumours that the motorbike drivers license is no longer available for tourist visa holders. Not even for business or social visa holders. I heard you can obtain one only if you have kitas.
    Is that true?

    • admin February 7, 2017 at 10:36 am - Reply

      Hi Zee
      I just called the Police station to confirm the rumors. And here is the answer (07 Feb 2017)
      Tourist driving license for 1 month still possible using Passport and Visa and arrival.
      The one that need KITAS is for 1 year validity.
      So yes, you still able to obtain for 1m on tourist visa.
      Hope it helps and happy riding

  2. admin February 7, 2017 at 10:36 am - Reply

    Hi Zee
    I just called the Police station to confirm the rumors. And here is the answer (07 Feb 2017)
    Tourist driving license for 1 month still possible using Passport and Visa and arrival.
    The one that need KITAS is for 1 year validity.
    So yes, you still able to obtain for 1m on tourist visa.
    Hope it helps and happy riding

  3. Justin C February 13, 2017 at 1:17 am - Reply

    Hello just arrived. They said no Visa is required for state less than 30 days. Is it still possible it obtain a license with only a 30 stamp in passport?

    • admin February 17, 2017 at 1:47 pm - Reply

      Hello. Yes. No Problem.

  4. Narasimhan March 8, 2017 at 7:12 am - Reply

    Hi ,

    I plan to visti Bali in March. Heading to UBUD first. Is there any police station in UBUD that could help get my Balinese Toursit Drving License.


    • Bali4Ride Admin March 11, 2017 at 8:20 am - Reply

      Hi Narasimhan
      We believe there is only 1 places available to get tourist driver license.
      Of course there are plenty police station along the way to Ubud though 😉
      Bali4Ride Admin

    • Karishma July 10, 2017 at 9:02 am - Reply

      Hi Narsimhan,

      Did you manage to get tourist license in bali. We are having hard time getting idp here in hyderabad. They are asking for visa to issue idp inspite of telling them that for indians indonesia is visa free country.

      Please suggest how you managed to get one in bali.


  5. NIc April 23, 2017 at 11:47 am - Reply

    I am arriving in Bali and staying on a tourist visa for 7 weeks will I be able to get a riding license for the entire time of my VISA or have to reapply?

    Any advice on the tourist license still being variable and ways to speed up the process would also be much appreciated



  6. kylie June 21, 2017 at 3:42 am - Reply

    hello, can you tell me if i can ride a bike under 125 cc without motorbike licence? I have an Australian car license and international drivers licence. Thanks!!!

    • Bali4Ride Admin June 22, 2017 at 8:45 am - Reply

      Hi Kylie
      By Indonesian law you need driving license to ride any motorbike

  7. steve June 30, 2017 at 6:15 am - Reply

    Hello can explain better please “By Indonesian law you need driving license to ride any motorbike” in your last reply.
    The question was “I have an Australian car license and international drivers licence.” Is the answer YES or NO , to ride a motorbike?
    Or do they need a Indonesian Licence instead of a International Drivers Licence

    • Bali4Ride Admin July 5, 2017 at 1:52 pm - Reply

      The question was “I have an Australian car license and international drivers licence.” Is the answer YES or NO , to ride a motorbike?

      YES you can use International Driver License.

  8. Jacob July 9, 2017 at 3:17 pm - Reply

    Hello I am visiting Bali next week! I do not have a driving license in my home country. How long would it take to get a driving license there and what are the standard procedures I need to take ; paper testing, on-bike testing? Thank you so much and look forward to renting your bikes soon!

    • Bali4Ride Admin July 10, 2017 at 6:29 pm - Reply

      Hi Jacob
      The process will take about 2-3h depends on the queue.
      Documents required has been stated on this page (please see above), you will need bike testing if you do not have motorcyle driving license from your country.

      If you need our assistance you need to book it at least 2 days before because we need to get a queue first at police station so it won’t have any issue on the day it self.

      Let us know if you need further questions and hopefully you already made the booking with us or you will do as soon as possible :).


  9. Martin July 14, 2017 at 10:16 am - Reply

    I’d like to ask you for advice regarding touristic driver’s license.

    I am visiting Bali next month. I don’t have international drivers licence and therefor I would like to arrange touristic driver’s licence. What I am unsure of is, whether it’s for bike and car or bike only (on your site indicates it’s for bike and car, the other site says it’s only for bike).

    Thank you very much,
    Lalak Martin.

    • admin July 14, 2017 at 12:42 pm - Reply

      Based on Indonesian law the license for Motorcyle/Scooter/Motorbike (2 wheels) and Car (4 wheels) are different.

      SIM A (Surat Ijin Mengemmudi A) or Driving License Type A is for Car (4 wheel)
      SIM C (Surat Ijin Mengemudi C) or Driving License Type B is Motorcyle/Scooter/Motorbike (2 wheel)

      On my site I give general description on how to obtain of Tourist Driving License. Tourist can obtain both SIM A or SIM C.
      If you like to have both then you need to pay 2 driving license.

      Hope it answering your questions.

      Bali4ride Admin

      • Martin July 16, 2017 at 6:16 pm - Reply


        yes thanks. You are The Best



  10. Alex July 16, 2017 at 4:10 pm - Reply


    I am planning to come in August and was wondering if it is still possible to obtain the 1 month tourist driving license by going to the police station in Denpasar?

    Will the process be faster if I bring my current license and/or if someone local that speaks the language is there to help me out?

    Many Thanks

    • admin July 19, 2017 at 9:50 am - Reply

      Hi Alex
      Yes you can still obtain 1 month tourist license.

      As far we know, we need to make appointment 2 days before to the police officer we if want to bring our (bali4ride) customer who want to obtain the license.

      Bring your own driving license will be advantage of course.


  11. Meldit Cota August 9, 2017 at 5:30 pm - Reply

    hi ,
    Can you please advise what are the charges for the 1-month tourist visa. I am considering to rent a bike from you as I have read many forums on how confusing this process gets and it’s better to have a local to come along during the licensing process. Also is there any extra charges from your end if you are accompanying me to the police station? or just the bike rental charges ……


    • admin August 10, 2017 at 3:02 pm - Reply


      The Police do not issue 30 days driving license anymore. The Police only issue a 1-year driving license that cost up to 1,000,000 IDR.
      Bali4ride will able help you to book an appointment and accompany you at police station IF ONLY you keen to hire car and driver from our company to take you to this police station. In this matter, our driver could help you to communicate with the police officer. This assistance will cost 500,000 IDR.

  12. UU August 13, 2017 at 4:15 pm - Reply

    I am considering applying for an Australian Learner’s Motorcycle lisence but I am not sure if I will have it by the time I go to Bali.
    Is it possible to a motorcycle license in Bali? How long would this take? How much would this cost? Would it be a learner’s motorcycle license or a full license that I get in Bali?
    Would it help if I had the Australian learner’s license to get a full Bali License or it doesn’t matter?

    If I hire your driver, how much would the “fees” be at the police station on top of that to get a full motorcycle lisence

    (i would prefer one for a year, but if not, 1 month will do)

    • admin August 20, 2017 at 7:04 am - Reply

      Hi UU
      In Indonesia there is no such a Learner’s license, it will be a full license for 1-year validity.
      The cost of our assistance is 500,000 IDR
      The driving license for 1-year validity is about 800,000 – 1,000,000 IDR

      Hope it helps. Thank you!

  13. Marcin August 22, 2017 at 9:06 am - Reply

    Will I be able to get the motorbike license, having a 1-year Business Visa?

    • admin August 24, 2017 at 9:49 am - Reply

      Yes, should be fine. To be sure you might need to go to Police station as per address on this page to confirm it.

  14. James W September 6, 2017 at 12:04 pm - Reply

    I’m coming to Bali in a few weeks on a tourist visa, can I still get the year driving license even if I’m only on that visa?


    • admin September 7, 2017 at 12:33 pm - Reply

      Hi. Yes. you only need passport and valid visa (any visa) to stay in Indonesia.

  15. Mark September 21, 2017 at 6:17 am - Reply

    Hi, I am from the Philippines and doesnt need to have a visa to enter Indonesia. Can I still apply for a Tourist Driving License?

    • admin September 21, 2017 at 3:33 pm - Reply

      Hi Mark,
      When you enter Indonesia, you will have a valid stamp on your passport as an evidence that you have entered our country. This stamp that is important during the process of getting the driving license.
      Hope it helps

  16. Javier September 22, 2017 at 8:08 pm - Reply

    With an internacional car driving licence ( no scooter) do you need to take any kind of exam for a 1 year scooter driving licence? Coming on a 2 month tourist visa, ok?
    How much is your service from Sanur area?


    • admin October 8, 2017 at 12:05 am - Reply

      Hi Javier,
      We have checked with the Police station, no paper exam required. Driving test with scooter might or might not be required.
      Tourist Visa is OK to apply for the Indonesian Driving License.
      Our assistance price is 500,000 IDR for pick up and drop of at Sanur area.
      Hope it helps.


  17. Kathy October 2, 2017 at 3:01 am - Reply

    Just went now to bali police station Denpasar with all the correct documents as listed above and they said need a medical certificate for bali licence. Waste of time. Get correct licence in county you come from to save yourself the hassle and at least you are covered for insurance and all ok.

    • admin October 8, 2017 at 12:08 am - Reply

      Sorry for your unfortunate event.
      Based on our experience, the applicant only needs to bring a valid passport.
      We never have any issue with all our customer that coming with us to get the license. They only bring the Passport and that’s it.


  18. Dennis October 7, 2017 at 2:44 pm - Reply


    I have a car driver license and international license for it but dont have motorcycle license in my country is it legal to use my car and IDL when i rent a scooter i bali?

    Thank you for the help! =)

    • admin October 8, 2017 at 12:10 am - Reply

      Hi Dennis
      To be honest, we are not sure whether it’s legal or not, as we are not qualified to answer about International Driving License.
      You might check directly with the Police once you arrived in Bali.
      Apologize could not be any help.


  19. Dennis October 8, 2017 at 10:37 am - Reply

    Ok! Thank you for the answer!

    So if book your service for 500k Will you get me the driving license for motorcycle? And can i only ride in bali or can i go to java and lombok with the license?

    • admin October 9, 2017 at 2:40 pm - Reply

      The 500,000 is the price of our assistance to help you communicate with the Police. We are not a Driving License agency, so we don’t get a license for you. You need to go to police station and we will pick at hotel, bring to Police station help you communicate with the Police and drop you back to hotel. The price of driving license it self is 1,000,000 IDR valid for one year and you can use it everywhere in Indonesia (including Java and Lombok).
      Please not that 500,000 IDR if your hotel is in Kuta area or nearby.


  20. J. October 19, 2017 at 12:10 pm - Reply

    Hello Bali4Ride,

    With your assistance, is it still possible to get a Sim C?
    I will have a SOSBUD visa before I arrive in Bali, in January 2018.


    • admin October 19, 2017 at 12:18 pm - Reply

      Hello J
      As per now yes it still possible to get SIM C (for motorbike / scooter vith SOSBUD Visa
      Hopefully, there are no changes in January 2018, but it worth to check again when the date is closer.

      Terima kasih.

  21. J. October 19, 2017 at 7:56 pm - Reply

    Iya, for the reply terimakasih banyak Admin.
    Yes, I will check back with you, before I arrive. If all is still well with the situation, we can talk about booking one of your drivers.

  22. Jacqueline Santiago October 21, 2017 at 12:49 pm - Reply


    I have a KITAS. I want to get a motorbike license as I already have international driving permit for a car.

    I read you need a medical certificate? Is this true? Can you inform me what documentation I need? Do I need to sit an exam or driving test? I am interested in booking your services next week. I live in Sanur.

    • admin October 23, 2017 at 7:25 am - Reply

      Hi Jacqueline

      When you booking for our assistance you only need the passport with KITAS (if you have it). No other documents or test needed.
      We done this just last Friday and this information still valid.

      Thank you.

  23. Jacqueline Santiago October 24, 2017 at 2:38 pm - Reply

    Fantastic! Can this be done on a Saturday? What’s the best day to do this?

    • admin October 25, 2017 at 7:30 am - Reply

      Hi, The driving license officer only open on Monday – Friday.
      Anytime between Monday to Friday is OK, as long as we have the availability. Please email us at info@bali4ride.com to book the driving license assistance. Thank you.

  24. Joss November 4, 2017 at 2:33 pm - Reply

    I’m coming to Indonesia in the next two months. I have a British provisional drivers licence. Will I still be able to get the tourist licence with enough time and effort? 🙂

    • admin November 4, 2017 at 4:06 pm - Reply

      Hi Joss
      Yes you can get the Indonesian driving license only with your Passport. It will take around 2-3h for the whole process.


Leave A Comment

Contact Us